Mother of Good Counsel is an inclusive school that recognises that children begin school with differing backgrounds, abilities and motivations. Similarly, children cope with the stresses of academic learning in different ways.
As an inclusive community, Mother of Good Counsel School consciously evolves to meet the changing needs of its members. The school community, served by the Diocese of Cairns, embrace inclusion as a means of enhancing the wellbeing of every member of the community. By working together, we strengthen our capacity to provide the foundation for a richer future for us all.
The primary focus of Learning Support at Mother of Good Counsel is to support student learning in the mainstream classroom curriculum within the classroom environment. Target areas include Early Intervention (P-Y3), Differentiation and Extension/Enrichment.
The school recognises the importance of the early learning years. Research repeatedly indicates the earlier learning difficulties are identified, the more effective intervention strategies are. Preventative and remedial programs are given priority including:
- Whole School Assessment – identification of phonemic awareness, mathematical concepts and reading comprehension
- 1:1 and small group support in phonological awareness, mathematical concepts, reading comprehension
- 1:1 and small group literacy development
- 1:1 and small group support in delivery of speech/language programs, and
- 1:1 and small group support for oral language development of students learning English as a second language.
The Learning Support Teacher works closely with class teachers to modify teaching and learning strategies to enable success for students in the classroom. This includes:
- 1:1 support for specific skill development
- programs targeted to student needs
- modifications to the student’s class program
- in-class support for students to pursue individually modified programs
- withdrawal programs for small groups of students with similar learning needs, and
- 1:1 support for the development of speech and language programs
Extension / Enrichment
Mother of Good Counsel strives to cater for academically able students within the classroom setting. At times, Learning Support is called upon to support highly able students by providing access to specialised programs or cross-classroom programming.
Access to Support
Students access support after a thorough process of assessment. This incorporates a combination of:
- school based assessments
- teacher referral
- specialist assessments ie. speech/language pathologist, educational psychologist, occupational therapist
- specialist referral, and
- information from benchmark testing
The Learning Support Teacher monitors programming and progress of students accessing support. Whilst some children require ongoing support, others access short-term programs.
Inclusivity, Specialist and Support Services
For further information on Inclusivity, Specialist and Support Services, click here.